Saturday 12 March 2011

I loathe this card

Infernity Inferno
"Infernity Inferno"
This card has caused me a lot of grief since the start of last format. It's inconsistent, inactive and generally poor as far as cards go. It's extremely fast, don't get me wrong, but in all honesty, that's its only merit.

I'll go into why this card has caused my trouble. Firstly, it's a trap (no obscure internet reference intended). That means it's very easy to stop. Fortunately, all discards from this card are done by effect, so you don't waste resources by activating it. Secondly, you need to discard. Novice Infernity players would think that it good to discard. That, however, is fatally wrong and leads to burned resources.

Back in March 09 format, we had 3 copies of "Infernity Launcher" at our disposal. If we opened with both cards, the chances are we would win. That, however, is no longer the case. The loop takes much longer to assemble, sufficed to say that the loop is the primary goal, which may not necessarily be the case anymore. Consequently, "Infernity Inferno" will probably sit in the back row idle for most of the game. That idle Inferno could be a powerful spell or trap card like "Solemn Warning" or "Forbidden Lance".

Moreover, it's a terrible topdeck. At least the two aforementioned cards could help bide time, Inferno will just sit their doing nothing. I've played matches where I've opened with two or three copies of Inferno. Consequently, I was unable to reinforce my back row properly and my matches were a lot more difficult.

As you can see, I'm not a huge fan of this card. The OCG is a different story, but I really do hate this card in TCG builds and I will be omitting it for the next few months for testing purposes.

Please leave a comment with your thoughts on this topic.

~Valafar123

1 comment:

  1. My first impressions of this were not good. It's only good on the first turn with the right initial hand set-up. It's a combo card that does not instantly active the combo itself.

    ReplyDelete